Friday, June 12, 2015

Whole 30 Day 4

The struggle is real. The food is good and I feel healthy and all that stuff, but it's hard. As a busy, nursing momma with two littles under two- I'm always hungry, I don't have a ton of time for food prep and all I really want right now is a cupcake. All that being said- I'm sticking with it. It's not just about the food. It's about changing our view of food. In the grand scheme of things, this is not hard. It's only for 26 more days. Then I will have my cupcake.

In the meantime. Here is what I'm snacking on these days.

Fruit. Lots of fruit. I would recommend anyone doing Whole 30 to do it in the summer when the fruit selection is at its best.

This. On Everything. Really, apples, bananas, banana chips. It's the best.

Also, kale chips. I feel like calling them "chips" does them a disservice. Anyone who says "kale chips taste just like potato chips" is right- if they've never had potato chips. They do not in fact taste like potato chips, but they are thin and crispy and salty, which does in fact satisfy that craving. They're also super easy to make and an easy way to eat half a bag of kale in one sitting-seriously. 

Kale "Chips"
-medium to large bunch of kale fresh from the garden or the store
-olive oil
-sea salt
-red pepper flakes (optional)

Directions
1. Thoroughly wash your kale and trim off any thick ends. They get tough and bitter in the oven.

2. Toss the kale in a large bowl with a couple pours of olive oil. I didn't measure, but you want to make sure it's thoroughly coated but not soggy so it'll all crisp up in the oven.

3. Spread the kale in a single layer on a baking sheet and sprinkle sea salt and a couple pinches of red pepper flakes on top.

4. Bake at 300 for approximately 10 minutes or until crispy. Be careful not to overcook it, as it burns easily.

5. Enjoy on the couch with a good book or Netflix and feel good about the fact that you are eating kale and not potato chips.
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment