Turkey Chili Mac and Cheese (adapted from here)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 lb ground turkey (or beef)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 can white kidney beans (cannellini), drained and rinsed
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can of corn
- 1 green pepper diced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 3/4 a box uncooked elbow pasta
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese(I actually used Mexican blend)
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic, onion, green pepper and ground turkey, and cook until browned, about 5 minutes.
Stir in chicken broth, tomatoes, beans, corn, chili powder and cumin; season with salt and pepper, to taste and let simmer. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to box directions in separate pot with generously salted water.
Once pasta is cooked just slightly firmer than al dente (it'll continue to cook once mixed in with the turkey/veggies), add two ladles of the starchy cooking water to the turkey/veggie mix (this will help the sauce bind with the pasta).
Drain the pasta and toss into the turkey/veggie mix. Combine until thoroughly blended.
Remove from heat and mix in your cheese.
I served topped with some fresh avocado to boost the health factor. Both the husband and our one year old loved it!