1. My Neti Pot. I am seriously obsessed with it in an addictive kind of way. I have had seasonal allergies for as long as I can remember to the point where I would take Zyrtec like tic tacs. I tried the Neti Pot and it changed my life. I use it every morning and have not had allergies since I began using it. I haven't even gotten a sinus infection in over a year and a half (I used to get a couple a year). If you can get over the weirdness of it, I promise you will not regret it!
2. Tom's of Maine Deodorant. Yes, you read that right. I just included a deodorant as one of my favorite things. Reason being? I have read some research studies that link aluminum zirconium (the main ingredient in most deodorants) to breast cancer. Tom's is the only brand I've found that does not contain aluminum and it works and smells great! Do I know for a fact that aluminum zirconium causes breast cancer? No, I really have no idea, but if I can avoid it- then why not? You can buy Tom's just about anywhere, but I've found it at both Target and Publix.
3. Coffee-Mate Natural Bliss. Sticking with the "all natural" theme here, I am so excited about this new creamer from Coffee-Mate! I have been quite the coffee addict since college and have tried pretty much every creamer out there. Coffee-Mate has always been my brand of choice because it blends and tastes the best. The only thing I didn't like was the fact that one of the main ingredients was "partially hydrogenated oil"- yuck. Well, this new creamer is made with REAL milk, cream and sugar! Right now they only have 3 flavors, but I am crossing my fingers they will make their holiday flavors in this brand...
4. Yankee Candle Spiced Pumpkin. My love of fall really deserves its own post, but this will have to do for now. I am mildly obsessed with all things pumpkin. I love Yankee Candles because they burn evenly and smell delicious. I buy all of my candles from TJ Maxx Homegoods because they are usually much cheaper than the store in the mall.
5. Pinterest. If you have never checked out Pinterest before... holy moly... close this page and go there right now. It's basically a way to organize and share ideas about everything.. seriously, everything. You create virtual "pinboards" of everything you could ever think of. It makes my type-a personality heart go pitter patter.
6. The Help. I know that with the movie being out right now, it is incredibly tempting to just go see the movie... but I beg you to read the book first. This book shines a poignant light on race relations in the 1960's. After reading it, it's nice to see how far we've come as a society- but sadly, how much really hasn't changed. If there is one book that you read this year- read The Help.
7. Helping those with disabilities. This video will warm your heart and make you smile. I think I've always had a special place in my heart for those with disabilities of any kind- both children and adults. In this video, it is "Disability Awareness Day" at Fenway Park and a teen boy with autism got to sing the national anthem. He forgot the words halfway through, so the entire stadium helps him out. This video is just a little reminder that there are still good people out there... and it might just make you a Red Sox fan... okay, I won't go that far, but it will still make you feel good.
Well that's it for my first edition of my favorite things... now everybody look under your chairs. Kidding... but seriously, I hope to do more of these as I come across products, books and videos that I really like.