When we were in Aiken for Memorial Day weekend, mom made this for dessert and it was delish! It's the perfect summer dessert as long as you can overlook the two sticks of butter- hey everything in moderation?
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- grated zest of 1 large lemon
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
1. Preheat oven to 325°. Generously butter and flour a 10-inch bundt pan.
2. Into a bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
3. In a mixing bowl with hand-held electric mixer, cream 1 cup butter and granulated sugar; beat at high speed until mixture is very light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
4. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition and scraping down side of bowl frequently. Blend in lemon zest.
5. Add flour mixture to the creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, adding each in 3 additions. Scrape sides of bowl frequently.
6. Pour batter into prepared cake pan; bake in the preheated oven for 55 to 65 minutes, or until a cake tester or wooden pick inserted near the center of cake comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes.
7. Meanwhile, combine lemon glaze ingredients in a bowl, blending until smooth. Carefully turn cake out onto a platter; drizzle evenly with glaze.