Thursday, October 27, 2011

Creamy Garlic Basil Pasta

I'm pretty sure that Dustin wouldn't like the name of this post, because he has a disdain for certain words... "creamy" being one of them. Well, whatever you want to call this dish is up to you- just as long as you make it. If I could live on one food for the rest of my life, it would probably be pasta. Most of my recipes are a bit summer-ish because they are light and involve fresh veggies and  EVOO. But seeing as we are waist-deep into my favorite season right now, I wanted to make a more substantial pasta dish. I made it with shrimp, but you could easily make this with chicken.

Creamy Garlic Basil Pasta
1 pound of pasta (I used fettuccine, but may try with penne next time per the husband's suggestion)
1/2 pound of shrimp (peeled, deveined, but they don't have to be cooked)
3 cups of sliced mushrooms (this is an estimate- I used an entire container from the produce section)
5 cloves of garlic (chopped)
10 oz container of Philadelphia Cooking Creme (I used savory garlic... what can I say, I have a thing for garlic)
4 tbsp butter
4 small tomatoes (chopped- I used Campari, but plum would work too)
Handful of fresh basil (chopped)

Directions
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the pasta once it is boiling.

2. In a large saute pan, drizzle some EVOO and heat to medium. Add garlic and cook until fragrant.

3. Add the shrimp and cook through.

4.  Add the mushrooms and let cook for about 3 minutes.

5. Mix in the Philadelphia Cooking Creme and butter to the shrimp/mushroom mixture.

6. Add a ladle of water from the boiling pasta to the shrimp/mushroom mixture to dilute the sauce a bit.

7. Drain the pasta and add to the shrimp and mushrooms. Turn the heat down to low and coat the pasta in the sauce.

8. Top with the chopped basil and tomatoes, cover and let simmer for about 5-7 minutes to wilt the basil.

This make a ton, so it's great to serve if you're cooking for 5-6 people. Serve topped with grated parmesan. Enjoy!!


2 comments:

  1. Oh. YUM. Definitely making this ASAP. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like one I need to file and add to my to-make list! Thank you! I'm a new follower from Fabulous Food Friday hop.
    Growing Old With Grace http://growing-old-with-grace.blogspot.com/. Hugs, GraceinAZ

    ReplyDelete