With Fall approaching and school starting back, I know that everyone wants easy weeknight recipes. This one was so yummy, easy and you can really customize it however you'd like. The husband ate two servings and said it was as good as any restaurant!
Sweet Italian Sausage Calzone
- 1 pkg pre-made pizza dough (I used Trader Joe's, but Pillsbury also has a yummy version in a can)
- 1/2 jar of your favorite pizza sauce
- 1 cup of shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup of sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 of a sweet onion chopped
- meat of choice (I used 2 links of Trader Joe's pre-cooked sweet Italian chicken sausage sliced and it was delish!)
- Seasoning of choice (salt, pepper, oregano, basil, garlic powder, etc.)
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 (or whatever temp is specified on your pkg of pizza dough).
2. Roll out your pizza dough according to directions on a floured (not greased) baking sheet or pizza stone.
3. Spoon a couple scoops of your favorite pizza sauce on half of the flattened dough and spread with the bottom of your spoon. Sprinkle with about a handful of cheese over the sauce.
4. Heat a splash of EVOO in a saute pan and add the mushrooms, onions and sausage. Cook for about 5-7 min or until just slightly carmelized.
5. Spoon the cooked sausage, mushroom, onion mixture onto side of the dough covered in sauce and cheese. Sprinkle with seasonings of your choice. I used crushed red pepper, garlic powder, oregano and dried basil.
5. Top the sausage, mushroom, onion mixture with a couple more spoonfuls of pizza sauce and another handful of cheese.
6. Fold over the other half of the dough and seal the edge by pressing down firmly. Cut a couple slits into the top so the steam can release. Brush some EVOO on top and sprinkle with any seasonings you'd like. I used, garlic powder, dried basil and oregano.
Bake at 350 (or whatever temp your dough requires) for 15-18 min. The top should be slightly brown and the inside will be bubbling. Serve with the remaining pizza sauce for dipping and any green veggie or side salad. This will make one large calzone that serves approximately 4-6. Enjoy!