So I was originally going to make just caprese pasta, but when I opened the refrigerator- the bacon was staring me in the face just begging to be eaten. I love bacon, I really do, but I tossed it in the pasta with a bit of uncertainty. Let me tell you, I am so glad I did. It was oh. so. yummy.
Bacon Caprese Pasta
1/2 lb of linguine (1/2 box)
1 small carton of grape tomatoes
1 ball of fresh mozzarella (about the size of a baseball) chopped into small pieces
2 handfuls of fresh basil chopped
4 pieces of bacon cooked and crumbled
2 cloves of fresh garlic
1/2 cup white wine
EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) for drizzling and coating the pasta
1. Heat some EVOO in a large saute pan.
2. Add the garlic and tomatoes and cook on low/med for 5-7 min. Once the tomatoes begin to cook through, use a wooden spoon and smoosh them until they pop. Be careful not to completely crush them, as you just want to let the juices out.
3. Meanwhile bring a large pot of nicely salted water to a boil and cook your linguine until slightly firmer than al dente (about 5 min).
4. Add the white wine to the tomatoes and gently stir through. Cook for another 3-4 min.
5. Once the pasta is cooked, drain and add it to your large saute pan with the tomato/wine sauce.
6. Toss the pasta in the sauce until nicely coated. This is where you can add some EVOO as needed if the pasta is sticking.
7. Once thoroughly combined, sprinkle the bacon, basil and chopped mozzarella on top. Cover and Let cook on low for about 3-4 min until everything is heated through.
Serve with fresh parmesan and enjoy!