Thursday, December 27, 2012

Wooden Name Sign

Have I mentioned that I now work part time? Kidding... but seriously... I've been doing some serious baking and crafting this Christmas season to fill some of my time. I saw this idea on Pinterest and thought I'd give it a try. They were surprisingly easy and came out pretty good if I do say so myself. I made one for Dustin's parents and my parents for Christmas. This idea originally came from here.

Here is what you'll need:
- 3-4 ft piece of wood (I used a 1x10, because I wanted them to have the option to hang it on the wall or lean it against something. If you get a 2x10, it will stand alone on a dresser, table or mantle.) I bought an 8ft piece and had it cut in half so each sign was 4ft.
- Spray paint (whatever colors you prefer)
- Cheap 4x6 picture frames (color does not matter!)
- Hot glue gun
- FREE printable letters found here

Step 1:
Unwrap your frames and remove the glass and backing and set aside.

Step 2:
Outside, lay out the frames and your wood on drop cloths (or anything really) to prepare for painting. Spray paint both the frames and wood with the colors of your choice. I did two coats on each, allowing about 25 min for drying in between coats.

Step 3:
While your frames and wood are drying, remove the stands from the frame backings that you've already removed from the frames. (The piece that folds out from the back of the frame).

Step 4:
Once your frames are dry (about 2 hours to be safe), replace the glass, printed letters and backing for each frame. 

Step 5:
Once the wood is dry (also about 2 hours to be safe). Hot glue the assembled frames to the wood. This step was actually the most tedious for me, because of my OCD-ness. I used a tape measure and a level to make sure the letters were evenly spaced and centered. Here is the finished product. This would make a great gift for anyone or decoration for your own wall.

1 comment:

  1. I love it Stephanie! Happy New Year wishes and thank you for sharing at the hop. I hope you will stop by again soon. I posted the new giveaway! xo

    ReplyDelete