Monday, May 4, 2015

The Boys' Schedule

For anyone that knows me, they know I am a scheduled person. And that may be putting it mildly. I have had a couple people ask me what our daily schedule looks like with two littles under two, so I am posting it here so I can easily share it with others as well as remember it in the future. I'm not going to lie, it's hard work this mom life. Harder than I've ever done before. These two little men have my heart, but they also have all of my time and attention these days. I wouldn't trade these busy days for all of the empty hours I've had over the last several years.

With Finn, we used the Moms on Call infant schedule and it worked wonderfully. While I was pregnant with Ryder, I may still be reading read the Moms on Call Toddler Book and they have some great schedules listed out for having a toddler and an infant.  If you have two under two or pretty close to it, I highly recommend giving it a shot to see if it works for you. At 6 weeks, Ryder is sleeping anywhere from 6-8 hours straight at night. Let me preface this by saying that we by no means have this down to a perfect science. Some days it works better than others. This is just how I try to structure our day.

6:00- I wake up, grab a cup of coffee and have a few minutes of quiet before the boys are up

6:30- I get Ryder up (sometimes he's already awake and sometimes I wake him up, either way, I get him up and feed him).

7:30- I put Ryder back to bed for a short nap and get Finn out of his bed (he's usually been awake for 20 min or so by this point, but he's pretty content to stay in his crib for a bit) and feed him breakfast.

7:30-8:45ish- Playtime with Finn or I bring him to our room so I can try and get ready for anything we have that day.

9:00- Feed Ryder (he sleeps anywhere from 45 min to an hour for this first nap). During this time, Finn is usually in his play pen with some toys.

10:00-11:30- I run any errands, go for a walk to the playground or go to any activities for the day. Ryder will sleep in his carseat or Ergo for this nap.

12:00- I put Finn in his highchair for lunch and feed Ryder while he's eating.

12:30- I put Ryder in his bouncy seat while I put Finn down for his nap and then I put Ryder down for his nap, swaddled in his bed.

12:30-3:00- Nap time for BOTH boys. This is where I pass out myself get stuff done.

3:00- Feed Ryder

3:30/4:00- Finn usually wakes up

4:15- I put Ryder back in his bed for a short nap and I'll start prepping for dinner as much as I'm able with Finn up and around.

5:30- Feed Ryder and put him in his bouncy seat in the kitchen while I finish dinner.

6:15- Family dinner together

6:45- Bath time for both boys (I only do this if Dustin is home to help. We put Ryder's bath seat in the tub next to Finn and bathe them together. Then, I get Ryder's pj's on while Dustin does the same for Finn.)

7:30- Finn in bed and Dustin gives Ryder a bottle. I usually shower and then pump during this time.

8:00- Ryder in bed

Ryder will typically sleep until anywhere from 2-4AM when I'll get up and feed him. Regardless of when he eats during the night, he will last until 6:30 the next morning. I think one of the main keys to making this schedule or any schedule successful is patience. Patience for yourself and your babies. And when your patience is wearing thin, give yourself grace. Grace for the moment that just passed and the ones that haven't happened yet. These littles need you and just when you feel like you're too tired to continue, your one year old will start to dance and laugh and your one month old will smile and coo when he hears your voice. Yes, it's exhausting and there are days when I go to bed at night not being able to remember a single thing I did that day. But you get up and do it all again because it is so incredibly worth it. So pour that extra cup of coffee, reheat it four times and embrace the gift of today. And when today doesn't go as planned, there's always tomorrow.


post signature

2 comments:

  1. Hi Stephanie! I was thinking about purchasing their book for infants. I have a 12 day old baby and was wondering when is too early to try get him on a feeding/sleeping schedule. The nights are the toughest right now. Thank you for your encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We LOVE moms on call! We started the schedule with both boys around one month. The biggest thing I found helpful around that time was putting them down for at least one nap per day swaddled with a white noise machine on in their cribs. Once he gets his days figured out and is able to soothe himself to sleep during naps, the nights will follow! Once he's a month, you could also try sending your husband in with a paci at night to see if that'll do the trick. We started doing that and found they weren't always hungry and were able to fall back asleep. Good luck mama!

      Delete