Tuesday, October 8, 2013

The Nursery Reveal

Sometimes I love decorating and sometimes it stresses me out. Luckily, this project fell into the former category. All along, I had been planning a gender neutral nursery since we were most likely not going to know if we were going to have a boy or a girl. Once all of my ideas came together for the room, it definitely looked more boy. All of this was before we found out about Finn. I figured that if we ended up with a girl that I would just add girly touches later. Low and behold, it would become the perfect little space for our little man. When we got the phone call that we were getting a baby boy, the nursery was mostly done, but I did add my finishing touches with a new sense of urgency. I loosely followed the theme of "vintage travel", but it mostly just reflects our style. So.. here is Finn's room : )

Wall color is "soft mint" by Benjamin Moore. The curtains are from Target.

I went with a traditional Jenny Lind crib, because I love the timeless style and the room is on the smaller side so a bigger crib would have taken over the room. All of the printables are from various websites I found by googling "free nursery printables".


 I made a no-sew crib skirt using a super easy tutorial from Young House Love and some printed burlap fabric that I bought online at Hancock Fabric.


I made this mobile using an embroidery hoop, some fishing line, glue stick and paint chips that I cut out using a scrap book cutter. The hardest part was smuggling out all of the paint chips from Home Depot. This is a super easy and cheap way to add a pop of color to any room.

The ottoman was a steal of a deal from Walmart at $30. I made the pillow cover with leftover fabric from the crib skirt.

The changing table is also from the Jenny Lind collection.The little red rocking chair was the husband's when he was little.

These prints are actually pages from an Anthropologie calendar. For $24 (or $12 if you wait until Jan or Feb to buy it), you can get a calendar that will provide 12 prints. Add some cheap spray-painted frames and voila!

Above the changing table are four Shel Silverstein poems that I tore out of Where the Sidewalk Ends in some vintage frames that were leftover from our yard sale.

The dresser belonged to Dustin's grandfather when he was a little boy, so that makes it extra special that it's now in Finn's room.

This vintage camera was leftover from our yard sale and I loved it too much to get rid of it. The record is Bambi that we picked up from a used record store in Nashville. The framed sheet music is "Edelweiss " from The Sound of Music which is the song that my dad used to sing to me when I was little.

I absolutely love this license plate alphabet sign that Dustin's aunt brought us from one of my favorite boutique stores in Waco, TX called Spice.

The Micky Mouse clock used to be a part of my grandfather's clock collection and was always my favorite when I was little.
post signature

1 comment:

  1. So beautiful and special in so many ways! I love it all! I too made a paint chip mobile for my daughter's nursery! And that's a super cool alphabet!

    ReplyDelete