Thursday, January 17, 2013

Skinny Potato Soup

Have I mentioned how much I love Skinnytaste.com? If you haven't checked out this blog before, I highly encourage you to stop by. Gina's recipes are easy, healthy and most of them don't require a lot of ingredients. They are also oh-so-good! If you know me, you know I love soups in the winter and today definitely qualifies as winter. Anyway... this potato soup is so yummy, you don't even realize it's healthy!

Skinny Potato Soup (adapted from here)
2 russet potatoes, washed and dried
1 bag of frozen cauliflower
2 1/2 cups of fat free chicken broth (this is a cup more than she calls for, but I wanted it a bit thinner)
2 cups 1% reduced-fat milk
1/2 cup light sour cream
1/3 cup reduced-fat shredded sharp cheddar cheese
A handful of green onions chopped (I used 5)
Bacon cooked and crumbled (you can use turkey bacon)
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions
1. Place potatoes on a microwave safe plate and use a fork to poke holes in them. Microwave them for about 6-7 minutes and then flip them over and microwave for another 6-7 minutes. Once the potatoes cool, peel the skin off and set aside.

2. Fill a large pot with enough water to cover your frozen cauliflower. Boil and cook until soft.

3. Drain the water and then add potatoes, milk, sour cream and half of the chicken broth.

4. Use an immersion blender to puree everything. (I actually do not own an immersion blender, so I poured the contents of the pot into my regular blender, pureed it and then poured it back in the pot... yes this did make for one more thing to clean, but it was worth it)

5. While cooking on low, mix in the cheese and chopped green onions. Combine until well blended. Here is where you can add the rest of the chicken broth to get the consistency to your liking. I think I ended up using about 2/3 of a carton.

6. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve topped with more cheese, green onion, bacon and low fat sour cream- YUM!

1 comment:

  1. wheres my bowl? I'll be right over! Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things hop xo

    ReplyDelete